Welcome to our ranch near Canada's west coast in Beautiful British Columbia's West Chilcotin mountain region. Where calling the vet means hollering back at the house to bring your kit, new friendships are formed from the back of a horse and true fun for a five year old is getting a machete for Christmas. Where 'cutting the dinks off' has a totally different meaning than what first comes to mind, Muck Boots are a household name, a hand shake still means something and the coffee is always on.

Wednesday 6 April 2016

April 3rd to 6th

Well, I've been a bit bad lately and gone back on my word of having a photo a day.  I spend all of April 3rd on the computer, entering cow and calf information and in a meeting about the proposed logging blocks out my back door (more on that another time....I've been taught if you can't say something nice, not to say anything at all......)  On the 4th, I did a whirlwind trip in to Williams Lake, to pick up supplies and mostly to see the chiropractor.  Neither day did I take any photos.  
BUT, I did buy myself a super nice gift for my upcoming birthday.  I mean, my husband did.  :)  
So I'm going to barrage you with photos to make up for the 2 days lack. 

 April 5th

We had a young cow in, obviously calving but just not progressing.  We brought her in to the chute to 'check her out' and instead of the usual two....three feet were trying to get into the birthing position.  
With just a bit of help, momma cow produced healthy twins!  


 Momma sharing some love, even as she rests.  

In the other barn, an older baby watches me carefully.  His momma put her head down just as I was taking the photo, but I liked the effect.  

Truly fast asleep.

I'm loving the new camera......especially having a decent zoom.

Breakfast of champions.  

April 6th  
I'll get back to posting 'one a day'....but meanwhile I'm enjoying the practice.  
 Dealer Dog, staring at a heifer.

 Windy Bob, one of the original orphans, hamming it up for the camera.  (He was a twin out of a first calver.)  We often let him out in the yard to get some sunshine and exercise, much to the concern of the dogs trying to keep track of everything.  
  
Look....a 'not cow' photo....how cool is that?  A few of the young horses and my 'City Boy' who looks as though he has made good use of the hay bales over the winter!

Those of you that know this country will notice the lack of snow!  Amazing isn't it.  Loving it.  

Cheers all!
Punky  

  




No comments: