Welcome to our ranch near Canada's west coast in Beautiful British Columbia's West Chilcotin mountain region. Where calling the vet means hollering back at the house to bring your kit, new friendships are formed from the back of a horse and true fun for a five year old is getting a machete for Christmas. Where 'cutting the dinks off' has a totally different meaning than what first comes to mind, Muck Boots are a household name, a hand shake still means something and the coffee is always on.

Thursday 25 February 2016

Updated Website

Greetings all!  The Six Mile Ranch photo gallery has been updated with the 2015 photos!  
You can check it out here Six Mile Ranch 2015 Photo Gallery

Many thanks to all the riders that have allowed me to use their photographs.  

Jeffrey from JN Web Design , does an excellent job, is very patient with my ignorance and endless questions, and I highly recommend him if you need help with a website.  He is currently working on the updated version of our Lehman Creek Outfitting 2015 Gallery, so I'll be able to announce the completion of that soon as well.  

We have been doing some cleaning and organizing in preparation for the Hatch family move to Six Mile for the calving season and I came across a couple old albums.  

  This is old Rusty, packing me and my big brother around for a joy ride.  We are sitting on a sheep skin held on by a metal frame and cinched up tight.  McGee rode him many many miles this way.  My memory of this horse is of him being in the front yard, and McGee and I feeding him grain to get his head down.  When he did, McGee tossed me up on his neck as far as he could, with the thought of course, that when Rusty lifted his head, I could climb right on aboard.  With no halter, bridle or saddle of course, but that was hardly worth considering.  Especially since the plan did not go as planned (as so often happens) and when the old fella lifted his head I flew off the other side and landed on my head instead.  Off to the nursing station we go......  

Another story I recall is one being told of McGee riding this old boy over the mountains to the Blackwater.  A jaunt of about 40 miles.  I'm not sure his age at the time...but very young.  Young enough that he called his horse "Rustus" instead of Rusty.  So to get that far in a day, one has to make some miles, so to speak.  An early start and lots of trotting.  McGee did very well (he was quite used to riding) but by the end of the day mum recalls hearing him say "Oh Rustus, quit bouncing, my BONES hurt!"  

Early Morning at Three Circle 
No, I didn't beat Dealer, or even tell him to lie down.  I'd stopped to take this photo and this position is his usual when he is trying to figure out my next move.  Notice how nonchalant Bree looks in comparison!  

Back on the ranch, we have had calf #2 and expect to get ramped up soon.  We will all probably move up to Six Mile by the beginning of the week.  The weather continues to be amazing so far.  But kinda funny, we did reach -18 a couple of nights ago and there were several phone calls the next morning along the lines of "SO, you guys started calving, eh?!"  (We hadn't!!)  

 Lookin' like a whole lot of cows to calve out!  About a far as the eye can see..... 

As long as it goes as easily as this wee one, all will be well.  (Yes, momma has short ears.  That comes from being born on a cold night in the Chilcotin!)  

We are getting the Internet put in up at Six Mile, so I will be able to stay a bit more current this year with the blog.  We will see how it goes with the Internet there, but it is planned to be only for the short term.  And it could be very very short term the first time someone is scrolling through facebook when there are chores to be done!  Mum is already dreading it.  

Cheers all!
Punky    

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Internet at Six Mile... I can't comprehend the idea of that :P

Ted said...

I really enjoy your blog. I must admit though that I'm a bit confused about your ranch/ranches/dwellings. How far apart are your 3 (?) homes? Maybe you could do a blog on that for city slickers who don't understand ranching very much. Just a thought...

Terra Hatch said...

Olivia....you are so right. It got hooked up today and when emails started to come in, it felt very strange. Even stranger when I was moving cows out of the feed pen and got the 'bling' of an incoming message. Not sure I like it.....


Ted...thanks for reading first of all (where are you from? I'm always curious) and also thank you for the great comment/idea! Stay posted, I'll have you oriented as soon as possible. :)

Ted said...

I'm from Hamilton Ontario. I've been trying to figure out how and why you move horses and cows (and yourself) from place to place. Probably due to feed and facilities?

Terra Hatch said...

Hi Ted,
You are totally correct, it is all about feed and facilities. I'm going to try and explain a bit more for this next blog. Great to have feedback and questions, keep them coming! :)