Welcome to our ranch near Canada's west coast in Beautiful British Columbia's West Chilcotin mountain region. Where calling the vet means hollering back at the house to bring your kit, new friendships are formed from the back of a horse and true fun for a five year old is getting a machete for Christmas. Where 'cutting the dinks off' has a totally different meaning than what first comes to mind, Muck Boots are a household name, a hand shake still means something and the coffee is always on.

Monday 13 April 2015

Back at it!

Greetings all!  And my apologies....time seemed to have gotten away from me.  Although the calving has slowed down, the chores have not.  And with the Lehman Creek Outfitting business quite busy, Eli has pretty much taken over my tablet so I can't even pre-write for the blog.  He spends most of his time at Three Circle now as the majority of the cows are there, so I hardly get home at all.  
But enough excuses right?  I'll soon be living back at home (next week!) and be more consistent again.  

The calving scene is pretty much the same.  Although the weather has not been particularily warm, the pens are drying out well.  We have treated a few that started to get sick, but over all...so far so good on that end.   We did lose a calf the other day. He started out strong and seemed fine, but after about 24 hours, he quickly went downhill.  We did our best and kept him going with IV's and electrolytes, hoping his body would heal, but in the end he didn't make it.  It wasn't clear if he was undeveloped from the beginning (which is my suspicion as he was very small and unhealthy looking), or if his mother accidentally stepped on him.  We are now in the process of convincing the momma that taking on one of the twins is a good idea instead.  She is fairly suspicious but I'm optimistic that it is going to work.

Ting and Emme helping me hold pairs that we moved up to a new feeding ground. 


We have had some great company,up at the ranch over the past couple of weeks.  One of my 'city cousins' made the trip and I have to say that I'm really quite proud of her.  She gamely took on ranch life for few days and we even convinced her to put her hand inside a cow to feel a calf needing help to be born.  We all laughed hysterically at her face (and her gagging), but she did it!  It makes me chuckle to even write about it.  Was great to have some other friends and family come up from Bella Coola as well.  Laura is also back from Australia and has slipped in like she was never gone.       

Eve convincing a young friend that Jade would love a scratch!  
    

In other news, all the horses have been trimmed, the pregnant mares are getting massive (due in May) and we are all ready to RIDE!!  :)   

Photo from last fall.  Six Mile Flat 

Our neighbors bull got in to Three Circle with the heifers the other day so I quickly saddled mum's gelding Sorbay.  As it turned out, Eli was able to sort him out himself, but since Sorbay was tied to the hitching post anyhow, I quite enjoyed moving the odd pair and shifting around the pens horseback for a while.  Oh, the day will soon be here when I can trade off my Muck Boots for Ariats!  Happy dance, happy dance!  
We will move the bulls in the next few days, which promises to be some fun.  They are always full of themselves (and deafeningly loud) when first let out of their pens in the spring and I can't wait to go stampeding across the pastures on my favorite Riley horse.  Hopefully there is a place for me to sit on his back!  :)


The mountains are starting to call!  

Oh, and I have a new puppy.  A fuzzy little black and white Border Collie/Kelpie cross named Dealer.  I don't have my camera with me right now, but I'll post some photos next time.  He is super cute, is already showing signs of being a strong working dog and is fully convinced that I'm his personal human.  :) 

And young master Benjamin turned SIX years old last week.  How time flies.  I remember the calving season shortly before he was born.  At one point I recall waddling down a narrow cow trail in the snow when I  stumbled, tripped, and finally ended up on my back, wedged in the trail with my big belly pointed to the sky.  What an effort to get back upright, especially with concerned dogs frantically trying to lick my face!  Clearly ranching and pregnancy are not an easy combination and I decided then and there that two was enough.  Those that have big families in this situation sure have my admiration!  Some ladies have told me that they loved being pregnant and although I fully agree it was a unique and wonderful experience, I can't say I miss it.  I clearly remember the teeth gnashing annoyance at not being able to fit through the fence rails anymore....     


Ben on Grandmas gelding Sorbay.  

Okay everyone, I best get back at it.  I look forward to hearing back from you!
Cheers all, until next time.  
Punky    



  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sitting here in my cozy townhouse watching Netflix and holding my iPhone that is in constant wifi or cellular data communication and I gotta say - I miss the Ranch life. I miss you and the boys too. I had so many fun adventures and I'm grinning from ear to ear reading that you were proud of me. Tell Eve I've been practicing "Golf" and plan to kick her butt next time I'm there.... What season is at the beginning of May?

Terra Hatch said...

Great fun and great laughs! I'm totally proud of you and love your 'can do' with a smile attitude!
When you come out again you need to stay longer so you can get some riding in too. Gotta earn your Team logo! ;) We hope to brand the first weekend in May......